Within the last year we have seen a number of our online marketing clients venture into the “green” business community. For some it’s a natural progression, but for others it’s rejuvenating their business model with high hopes for long-term success.
One client now offers their most popular product with an eco-friendly option. Another innovative client is launching an entirely new website for energy efficient products, and another client simply wants their customers to be aware of their green corporate culture. With new green company news and products comes the opportunity for new webpage or website creation.
As we are helping develop solid content and online PR strategies for this new content we are mindful of how individuals are searching, and where these people can be found across the web. Our clients depend on us to help convert online visitors by pinpointing the best keywords, targeting relevant blogs and social media opportunities, and looking ahead to the future of universal search.
Below are some strategies and resources to help online marketing clients target the right search audience, and then get them to convert.
Choose the right keyword modifiers to attract an eco-conscious audience:
- Background information from SEOptimise on how keyword modifiers are important to new web content.
- List of keyword modifiers to spruce up your marketing copy and target the right search audience:
alternative, awareness, change, clean, cleaner, climate, community, comparison, consumer, corporate, design, discount, earth, eco, efficient, effort, environment, environmental, exchange, features, footprint, free, friendly, friendlier, global, green, greener, ground-breaking, healthy, hybrid, impact, initiative, innovative, involvement, less, lifestyle, living, local, modern, natural, objective, organic, planet, power, powered, process, product, products, protect, recycle, recycling, reduce, research, reusable, reuse, safe, safer, save, savings, social, socially, solar, solution, sustainable, waste
Convert your target audience once they arrive at your site:
- Offer discounts on recycled products
- Offer free product samples
- Limited time sale for Earth Day
- Establish a buyback program for parts recycling
- Inform customers how a recycled product outperforms a traditional product
- Showcase a video of your green practices (nvohk has a great video example)
- Accept ideas and feedback on making products/services more eco-friendly
- Green buying guide (TreeHugger example)
- Have a video spokesperson talk about green initiatives
- Offer a paperless billing option
Online networks and media outlets with a green focus:
- Green social networks: Care2 and Greenopolis
- Green advertising networks: Sustain Lane and Green Ad Network
- Green media outlets: TreeHugger and Lime
- Green business ideas from Springwise
General resources to help you live greener (recycled from one of our client’s websites):