To equal Google-DoubleClick’s level of market concentration in the intermediary online advertising market, one single financial services company would have to own:
* The top 15 Wall Street banks/asset managers;
* ~60% of the hedge fund and private equity industries;
* The New York and London Stock Exchanges;
* The two leading providers of financial analytical tools: Bloomberg and Factset;
* Two of the three national providers of credit profiles: Experian and Equifax; and
* ~60% of the Federal Reserve’s and U.S. Census Bureau’s raw market and consumer data.
When you put it into that perspective, it’s quite a compelling case. The question for us all is, is that a good thing?
For search engine optimizers, having an 800 lb. gorilla to go after makes things a bit easier, and a bit harder. But in the end, it’s better than trying to hunt for 100 smaller gorillas.