Facebook Places is a Facebook feature that has gained a lot of popularity in the past few months with businesses who want to encourage interaction with their Facebook audience. If your business isn’t utilizing Facebook Places, you might want to start.
Although it’s largely popular with retail companies offering deals and discounts, Facebook Places is also a great opportunity for businesses that want to encourage interaction and conversation with “check-ins.” The Facebook Places feature lets you share your current location by “checking in” from your smartphone. If you go to a new restaurant, you can check in and share your experience. Facebook launched “Check-In Deals” a couple months ago, and just this week, launched “Facebook Deals.” “Facebook Deals” is only in a few cities so far, but will eventually be everywhere. This feature allows you to get the latest deals in your area, then share, buy and plan with your friends.
Why Have a Facebook Places Page?
Claiming a Facebook Places page increases the chances that a potential customer or client will find your business. You can encourage your friends or fans on Facebook to check in to your business when they visit. Many businesses even offer various promotions or discounts for a certain number of check-ins.
How to Check In on Facebook Places
- Download the most recent version of the Facebook application for your smartphone. You can also access Facebook Places from touch.facebook.com if your mobile browser supports HTML 5 and geolocation (GPS).
- Go to Places on the application or touch.facebook.com site, and then tap the “Check In” button. You’ll see a list of places near you. Choose the place that matches where you are. After checking in, your check-in will create a story in your friends’ News Feeds and show up in the Recent Activity section on the page for that place.
- When you check in to a place, you can also tag friends who are with you, just as you can tag a friend in a status update or photo. You can post an update along with your check-in to tell people more about what you are doing.
- In the “People Here Now” section, you can see others who are checked in with you at that place. This section is visible for a limited amount of time and only to people who are checked in there. This feature allows you to meet other people who might share your interests. If you prefer not to appear in this section, you can control whether you show up by unchecking the “Include me in ‘People Here Now’ after I check in” privacy control.
Why Claim a Facebook Place?
- By claiming your Place on Facebook, you can manage your Place’s address, contact information, business hours, profile picture, administration and other settings.
- This is a very interactive way to encourage communication with your audience on Facebook. You can implement a discount or promotion deal based on fans that have the most check-ins.
Facebook will continue to update their features for users, adding new tools and opportunities to connect with friends and fans. Facebook Places is an ideal tool for businesses to accurately identify and connect with their target audience.