Facebook Places is a fairly new Facebook feature that has gained a lot of popularity in the past few months with businesses that want to encourage interaction with their Facebook audience.
Although it’s largely popular with retail companies offering deals and discounts, it also works really well for businesses that want to encourage interaction and conversation with “check-ins.” The Facebook Places feature lets you share your current location by “checking in” from your smartphone. If you go to a new restaurant, you can check in and share your experience.
Why Have a Facebook Places Page?
Hosting a Facebook Places page increases the chances that a potential patient will find your organization in a Facebook search; this is another page that will be available to people looking for your services.
Facebook Places creates another page on Facebook, in addition to your current organization profile page.
How to Check In on Facebook Places
- Download the most recent version of the Facebook application for your smartphone. You can also access Facebook Places from touch.facebook.com if your mobile browser supports HTML 5 and geolocation (GPS).
- Go to Places on the application or touch.facebook.com site, and then tap the “Check In” button. You’ll see a list of places near you. Choose the place that matches where you are. After checking in, your check-in will create a story in your friends’ News Feeds and show up in the Recent Activity section on the page for that place.
- When you check in to a place, you can also tag friends who are with you, just as you can tag a friend in a status update or photo. You can post an update along with your check-in to tell people more about what you are doing.
- In the “People Here Now” section, you can see others who are checked in with you at that place. This section is visible for a limited amount of time and only to people who are checked in there. This feature allows you to meet other people who might share your interests. If you prefer not to appear in this section, you can control whether you show up by unchecking the “Include me in ‘People Here Now’ after I check in” privacy control.
How to Create A Facebook Places Pages
- Access the Facebook Places application on your smartphone.
- Click “Check In.”
- Click the “Add” button to the left of the Places Names search box.
- Enter your company name for the new Place, as well as an optional description of it.
- Click the “Add” button at the bottom right of the page.
- Click the “Check In” button to share your visit.
- All Places are public, so other people may see your created Place while browsing Facebook or the Places application.
- Once you create your Place, search for it again on Facebook, and follow the “Is this your business?” link, and begin the process to claim your Place.
Why Claim a Facebook Place?
- By claiming your Place on Facebook, you can manage your Place’s address, contact information, business hours, profile picture, administration and other settings.
- This is a very interactive way to encourage communication with your customers. Consider offering rewards for customers with the most check ins or most recent check ins.
How to Claim Your Facebook Page
- To claim your Place, search for your business name on Facebook via the normal Search bar.
- Click on your Places page.
- At the bottom left side of your Place there will be a link that says “Is this your business?” Click on the link and you will be directed to a claiming flow.
- Facebook will ask you to verify that you are the owner through a phone verification process, or you may be asked for document verification. If your claim is confirmed, you will be able to administrate your Place on Facebook.
Another option for Facebook Places is to merge your Places page with your Profile page.
Why Merge Your Facebook Profile Page with Your Places Page?
- Once you have merged your Place with your Page, your Page will now also serve as a location. This means that people who are using the Places feature on Facebook will be able to check in to your Page.
- In addition, your Place page will be updated to have a richer design and you will have one central entity to manage your business, likes and interactions.
- Plus, the people who are already connected to your Place will be combined with the people who are connected to your Page, so you will not lose any of your existing connections.
How to Merge Your Profile Page and Your Places Page
- Visit the Facebook Place that you have successfully claimed, and scroll to the “Merge with existing Page” link in the left side navigation menu.
- Click this link, and a prompt will appear to walk you through the process to merge the pages.