If you took psychology in high school or college, how much of that do you think you retained? Are you applying it to what you do today in marketing? If the information went in one ear and out the other, chances are that your company’s marketing is operating at a disadvantage.
Psychology is important to online marketing because marketing is all about people and the people you’re marketing to are influenced by a number of different psychological factors. Without an understanding of what influences people to make buying decisions, your marketing efforts could be lacking the power they need. So if you understand how people think, you can learn to market and sell more effectively.
Here are some key things to consider when you incorporate psychology in your online marketing efforts:
- Understand needs and wants. In your messaging, you should communicate that you understand what your target market needs and wants. Whether you do this with imagery, design or words is up to you, but your target market should know that you understand what is important to them.
- People are driven by egos. You’ll need to understand how the ego plays into buying decisions. Most often, people will want to buy a product that matches up with their dreams for their future. So if you’re selling a widget, think about how that widget gets someone closer to their personal or professional goals in life. How will they feel about themselves when they use your widget?
- Reciprocity. If you give your customer something of value to them, they’re more likely to give you something in return. For example, if you give them a free trial of your product, they’re more likely to end up buying the product.
- Social validation. People want to know that they’re buying something popular and they want to do what other people are doing. So seeing things like case studies and testimonials on your website will appeal to this.
- Liking. Creating a connection with your audience and getting them to like you boosts the chances that your potential customers may turn into actual customers. One of the most common ways to do this is to relate to your audience through social media.
- Authority. People believe in a company when they’ve established authority in their field. You can do this by providing excellent information and participating in industry associations and events.
Are there ways you’ve used the study of psychology to strengthen your online marketing? Leave us a comment and tell us about it!