If you asked me six months ago what SEO stood for, I don’t know what I would have said, but I can promise it would not have been Search Engine Optimization. Being a senior in college, I thought I was prepared with everything I needed to land my first job in copywriting. My first day interning at Fathom made me realize how wrong I was.
I had the key components needed to write captivating messages, but I had no idea how much actually went into developing content. I never learned about title tags, meta descriptions, breadcrumb navigation or interlinking pages in any of my classes.
But I met the challenge that Fathom faced me with head on, and I can now proudly say as a full-time employee, that I have learned so much.
Since starting here in January, I learned how to write web content recommendations, optimized press releases, email messages for clients, video scripts, and optimized articles. I am not going to pretend to be an expert, but every day I’m here I also grow slightly more proficient in SEO. Some of the useful things I have learned so far include:
• Google Analytics – I am not an expert in the least, but I now know how to research a client and access relevant information on their website that I can utilize to write content and focus on keywords.
• Keyword Placement – Throughout my internship I learned how to successfully integrate keywords into my writing to create optimized content for a website.
• <h> Tags – Before my internship I didn’t even know <h> tags existed, but now I use them all day, everyday.
• Interlinking Pages – By working with different clients and different websites, I have learned how to promote traffic using relevant key phrases to create a “train track” that runs through a website, creating smooth navigation for visitors.
• Breadcrumb Navigation – I now know that breadcrumb navigation is a really great way to integrate keyphrases, and can help visitors navigate through a website.
While I don’t entirely have the search engine marketing lingo mastered, I am excited to utilize all I learned during my internship at Fathom, and I am sure I will continue to learn something new every single day as a full-time employee. For example, today I learned how to write my very first blog post.