Is your school’s website too cool? Yes, I said it. Teenagers and college-aged students (who take the cost of education seriously) don’t want to waste their time on a website that favors style over substance. And that might be costing you money if you’re like many university websites.
Additionally, the way prospects look for schools is different these days, from mobile browsing to asynchronous and around-the-clock research. This can be a problem—in a recent study, 48% of prospective students didn’t realize that a university offered the program that they were looking for even when it did—or it can be your competitive advantage.
- Are you blowing budget on wasteful paid search advertising, or are you beating Google’s industry average of $4.36 per click?
- What kind of click-thru rates do your ads see?
- Are you getting found in organic search results by prospects in the early research stages?
- Are your email messages taking advantage of fast, automatic loading of images in Gmail, a favored platform of your would-be students?
- Have you tapped into the ripe potential of Bing Ads’ still immature marketplace for education keyword bidding?
These questions are just the beginning. See what else you should be thinking about as an education marketer in our 2014 EDU Standard.”