Many physicians are frustrated by their Electronic Health Record (EHR) vendors. In fact, a February 2013 study by Black Book rankings found 17% of physician practices are looking to switch EHR vendors by the end of 2013. Among the physician practices interested in switching EHR vendors, the study showed the following:
- 80% said the current system did not meet their needs
- 79% did not adequately assess their own needs prior to selecting an EHR vendor
- 77% had issues with the design of the EHR system not being suited for their specialties
- 44% felt their EHR vendor was unresponsive to their needs
- 20% had trouble with their existing EHR system not adequately communicating with other EHRs
EHR systems are meant to increase efficiencies in patient communication, which is why the meaningful use standards were set in place under the 2009 federal economic stimulus package. When these systems create more barriers to efficient communication, or prove to be cumbersome and time consuming, they defeat their purpose.
Customer service, general adaptability and ease of integration with existing EHR systems are key points to consider when choosing a replacement EHR system, or evaluating EHR vendors for the first time.
Below is a list of 14 most popular EHR vendors (in no particular order) that you may want to consider when replacing or choosing an EHR system for your practice. These top EHR vendors are ranked highly for satisfaction, and are very popular among physician practices looking to replace existing EHR systems.
- Care360 Quest
- GE Healthcare
- Practice Fusion
For more information about EHR vendors, or stats regarding EHR use among physicians, please download our whitepaper “Market(ing) Opportunities for Independent Software Vendors in Healthcare”.