In 2016, resolve to make your social media image content a little more organized! Since each network has different requirements for an optimal size image, posting an image across all networks is not as easy as it sounds. Not to worry! I have created a social media image size cheat sheet that you can bookmark and refer to throughout the year.
1.Facebook Cover Photo: 851 x 315 pixels
- Displays at 851 x 315 pixels on desktop and 640 x 360 pixels on smartphones.
2. Facebook Profile Picture: 180 x 180 pixels
- Photo will appear on page as 160 x 160 pixels on desktop, 140 x 140 on smartphones, and 50 x 50 on most feature phones.
- Photo thumbnail will appear throughout Facebook at 32 x 32 pixels.
3. Shared newsfeed image: 1200 x 630 pixels
- Will appear in feed at a max width of 470 pixels (will scale to a max of 1:1).
- Will appear on page at a max width of 504 pixels (will scale to a max of 1:1).
4. Shared newsfeed link image: 1200 x 630 pixels
- Square Photo: Minimum 154 x 154px in feed.
- Square Photo: Minimum 116 x 116 on page.
- Rectangular Photo: Minimum 470 x 246 pixels in feed.
- Rectangular Photo: Minimum 484 x 252 on page.
- Tip: Facebook will scale photos under the minimum dimensions so increase image resolution at the same scale as the minimum size.
5. Highlighted Image: 1,200 x 717 pixels
- Will appear on your page at 843 x 504 pixels.
- Tip: choose a higher resolution at that scale for better quality.
6. Facebook Newsfeed Ads: See the chart below for recommended sizes (Note: Images in carousel format ads, regardless of objective, are recommended to be 600 x 600 pixels in size). For more design guidelines, visit the Facebook Ads Guide.
1. Profile Photo – 400 x 400 (Displays 200 x 200)
- Maximum file size 2 MB.
- JPG, GIF, or PNG.
2. Header Photo: 1,500 x 500
- Maximum file size of 5 MB.
- JPG, GIF, or PNG.
3. In-Stream Photo: Minimum 440 x 220 (2:1 Ratio)
- Users may tweet up to 4 images at once.
- Appears in stream collapsed at 506 x 253 pixels on desktop.
- Maximum file size of 5 MB for photos, and 3 MB for animated GIFs.
1. Profile photo: 110 x 110
2. Square photo: make sure to maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1.
3. Photo Thumbnails: 161 x 161
- Photo Size: 1080 x 1080
- Instagram still scales these photos down to 612 x 612 pixels.
- Appear in feed at 510 x 510 pixels.
- Smaller featured header images appear as 204 x 204 pixels, and larger featured header images appear as 409 x 409 pixels.
1. Profile Picture: 165 x 165
- Appears at 32 x 32 pixels on the rest of Pinterest.
- Maximum 10 MB.
- Supports JPG and PNG for profile pictures.
2. Pinned images: Pinterest puts a limit on the width of the image but not the length. However, remember here that larger images result in higher engagement. See other guidelines below:
- Pins on main page and on a board appear as 236 pixels (height is scaled).
- It’s recommended to use an image aspect ratio of 2:3 to 1:3.5
- Expanded pins have a minimum width 600 pixels (height is scaled).
3. Board Display: 222 x 150 pixels (large thumbnail), 55 x 55 (smaller thumbnail)
1. Profile Picture: 250 x 250 pixels
- Maximum file size 100 MB.
- Maximum dimensions not listed – though I was able to upload a photo at 5,200 x 5,300 pixels.
- JPG, GIF or PNG.
2. Cover Image: 1,080 x 608 pixels
3. Shared Image – 497 x 373 (displays as)
- Appears in home stream and on page at a width of 426 pixels (height is scaled).
- Minimum width of 497 pixels (will scale the height for you).
- Maximum upload 2,048 x 2,048 pixels.
4. Shared Link – 150 x 150 (Thumbnail)
5. Shared Video – Width of 496 Pixels
- Shows in the feed and on page as 497 x 279 pixels.
1. Profile Picture: 400 x 400
- Minimum 200 x 200 pixels.
- 10mb maximum file size.
- JPG, GIF or PNG files only.
2. Personal Background Image: Between 1000 x 425 and 4,000 x 4,000
- Recommended between 1000 x 425 and 4,000 x 4,000 pixels.
- Maximum size 4MB.
- JPG, PNG or GIF files only.
3. Banner Image for Brand (Company) Pages: 646 x 220 (Minimum)
- Maximum 2 MB.
- Landscape Layout.
- PNG, JPG or GIF.
4. Standard Logo: 100 x 60 pixels
5. Career Cover Photo/ Hero Image: 974 x 300 pixels
1. Channel Cover Photo: 2,560 x 1,440
2. Display sizes across networks:
- Tablet display: 1,855 x 423.
- Mobile display: 1,546 x 423.
- TV display: 2,560 x 1,440.
- Desktop: 2,560 x 423 (1,546 x 423 pixels are always visible);Flexible Area (may be visible): 507 pixels to the left and 507 pixels to the right of the safe area.
3. General video guidelines:
- Videos must maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- In order to qualify as full HD, your dimensions must be at least 1,280 x 720 pixels.